Harlequin Mills & Boon Ltd
Contracts Administrator/Privacy Officer
20 January 2003- Current
Writing contracts with authors for all books acquired
by HM&B, and processing advances and royalty payments. Responding
to queries from the international author base and from the Editorial
department. Processing all permissions/licensing requests from third
party companies. Assisting Marketing and Editorial departments in
the preparation of promotional offers under the terms of the licensing
agreement between Harlequin Books SA and HM&B. Responding to
Rights enquiries from Sales department. Ensuring that information
is communicated accurately to the Finance department and the Swiss
operating company for the reporting of royalties. Working with the
company secretary to ensure compliance with the Data Protection
Act, and co-ordinating responses to official notices under the act
with the Legal department.
· Assisted with the transition to an online
database/editorial resource used for the acquisition of manuscripts,
and subsequently trained new staff in the use of the system
· Worked with Legal department in Canada to establish “best
practice” guide for promotional offers (eg “Buy One
get One Free”) for Marketing and Sales Departments.
· Acted as interface between in house Legal department in
Canada and independent UK counsel to ensure the timely, complete
and accurate response to several Section 10 notices and Subject
Access Requests under the Data Protection Act. Provided summaries
of procedure for senior management globally.
· Created and subsequently managed a centralised electronic
database of publication records, used by Editorial department for
tracking author activity.
· Trained Editorial Department in the use of AS400 Royalty
System on a SQL server, and imported information from this to produce
reports in Excel on Editorial department’s request.
· Prepared an average of 150 contracts a year, and dealt
with queries from authors in a timely and accurate fashion.
· Assisted with the introduction of a new standard contract
for series titles.
Blackwell Publishing (London Office)
20 August 2001-30 September 2002
Administration of two journals allowing the external
journal editors in-chief and other editors to
concentrate on the objective of managing the journal. Acting as
first point of contact for any enquiries
relating to content and to assist the managing editors as requested
in resolving any queries from
either authors or reviewers as quickly as possible.
· Managed the manuscript tracking system
and oversaw the flow of submitted articles for both journals (a
total of 1,000 submissions per year).
· Maintained accurate records of referees and referee activity
including chasing tardy referees and ensured that workload was distributed
as evenly as possible.
· Oversaw the initial stages of a transfer to an online publishing
· Produced monthly statistical status and performance reports
to be used in Editorial meetings to assess the performance of the
· Helped to find potential reviewers and contributors by
researching their details using the Internet.
Temporary Editorial Assistant for the Education
3 August 2001-17 August 2001
Assisting the Desk Editor in picture research for
2 Secondary school level historical textbooks. Arranging permission
for the work to be reproduced in the textbooks and processing invoices.
Blackwell Publishing (Oxford)
Temporary Rights and Permissions Controller/Editorial
Assistant for the Journals Editorial Department
4 January 2001 - 20 March 2001
· Processed Rights and Permissions requests
for 200 Blackwell Publishers Journals and providing editorial assistance
to Senior Journals Editors and Commissioning Editors.
· Gained an understanding of the main issues relating to
permissions requests, including copyright issues and blanket licenses
· Negotiated fees for the use of material.
· Processed and allocated permission payments, chased outstanding
payments and updated databases.
· Assisted editors in identifying new commissioning leads
by researching specific journals on the Internet to facilitate initial
approaches and preparation of proposals.
· Assisted with first draft of annual reports for journals,
resolving queries and monitoring progress.
Blackwell Publishing (Oxford)
Temporary Rights Income Administrator for the Accounts
12 July - 7 September 1999
· Recording payments received in connection
with translated editions, American editions and permissions fees,
as an interface between the Rights and Accounts Departments.
· Preparing details of rights income received for posting
to Vista royalty system for calculation of author share.
· Preparing and despatching invoices for translation advances
due where appropriate.
· Preparing translation contracts for despatch under supervision
of Rights Controller.
MPhil(B) American Literature And Film (September
1999- October 2000)
University of Birmingham
BA (Hons) English Studies (September 1996-1999)
University of Birmingham
10 GCSEs (8 Grade A, 2 Grade B)
1 AS Level (German - A)
3 A Levels (English - A, FPU French - A, History - A)
Abingdon School, Oxfordshire (1989 to 1996)
I am trained in Microsoft Office, and have experience
with Apple Macs and in using the Internet including e-mail. I have
also used a wide variety of in-house databases. I have attended
courses on Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word.
· Introduction to proof reading (in house
at Backwells Feb 2002)
· Introduction To Publishing at the London College of Printing
· Introduction To Contracts (April 2003)
· Data Protection: Compliance and Developments in Law (August
References available upon request.